Temp Fuel System + Exhaust Fab

It’s been a little more than a week since the update, so I figured I’d get you caught up on the progress. Also, I only have five days to go before the NCRC Laguna Seca HPDE on Saturday Jan 31st, so things have been moving pretty quickly…

New fuel cell installed (ATL bladder system and the Aeromotive pump were removed).
The picture of the finished product came out blurry (will update it later), but this will give you a good idea of what was done. It’s a generic plastic 8-gallon fuel cell from Summit Racing with a -8AN inlet and outlet, and of course the fill hole. Given the VERY tight time constraints, I had to settle for this setup as I was able to get it overnighted and installed without affecting the project timeline. Despite the lack of internal baffling (only foam) I should be ok as long as I keep it topped off between sessions (each session being 15-20mins and typically consuming 3-4 gallons).

Brake duct hoses are attached
The tape is actually covering a hose clamp, not actually holding on the hose to the carbon duct. Originally these weren’t connected to the front ducts so I had to replace the duct hose and attachment points. I’m sure this setup will need more work/adjustments, but this should work for the time being.

New trailer
I picked up a new Featherlite trailer on Friday night before taking the car to dyno. For the past 15yrs I’ve been borrowing a friends a trailer (Lawrence) however it’s time I got my own. Two race cars and no trailer is stupid and I refuse tow with a heavy/bulky sh!tty Uhaul trailer at $200/per event. Plus I’ve always wanted a Featherlite and got a killer deal from a Ford dealership about 15mins from my work.

Dyno time
Lawrence “Dynospot Racing” (now Synergy Motorworks) is a personal friend of mine and has been building my motors and tuning my cars for over 15 years and he’s pretty much taught me everything I know about cars. Unlike most “tuners” he has a background (and college degree) in mechanical engineering and has been tuning cars since the early 90’s. Looking back pre-Hondata, etc…, Lawrence would actually write his own code (hexadecimal) in both ODBI and ODBII. Wow has time changed…
Regarding the tuning and dyno, the first pass was aborted as we were getting an intermittent VTEC spool errors. As it turns out several ECU pins on the Wireworks harness were backing out and causing some shorts. After pushing the pins back in (band-aid solution) we got a full pass and made 195.34whp (SAE) or 205.81whp (Uncorrected). That’s more or less in the same range IPG got (~200whp). During the run the engine sounded very lean and the air/fuel ratio, EGT readings and sparkplugs verified it. Also the partial throttle was pretty rough so after more adjustments Lawrence was able to get everything nice and safe, and until we get some more data back from the track. In the end, and after adding a ton of fuel to the mid-range, we were able to get 199.48whp (SAE) or 208.58whp (Uncorrected). It’s only a modest 2% increase in peak-power, however, as you can see, it’s about a 3-5whp gain across the board and more importantly, the engine is now running A LOT safer.


Next up was the exhaust and boy is this car loud
For those that don’t know, Laguna Seca (LSIR) has a VERY strict 90db limit policy, measured at 50ft via a sound booth as you go up hill in 3rd gear between turns 5-6. The setup originally consisted of a Hytech header w/ a ~3″ megaphone going into a thin-wall 16g SS 2.5″ B-pipe (no resonator) and into a straight through Borla muffler. Yeah loud, very loud! I’m quite accustomed to tackling the LSIR sound demons, so I opted to install two Magnaflow resonators (one small and one large) onto the B-pipe, a chambered Magnaflow muffler, and a 2.5″ 90deg turn-away. The exhaust took about 4-5hrs to finish as we pretty much redid the entire system while using much original scrap pipe as possible. The exhaust now sits much higher in the body and is unbelievably quite. Surprisingly, I can now hear the famous partial throttle intake resonance whistle. I’d be shocked if it won’t pass. In terms of the impact on power, we didn’t have time to dyno it afterwards but worst case it would be a ~3-5whp loss.


The interior wiring is all done and the passenger seat is installed
The rewiring took a little longer than expected as many of the OE wires were cut due to the old Electromotive system but I able to get everything fixed up. I’m still a little squeamish on the Wireworks harness, especially after some of the ECU pins were pulling out, but I’ll try to address later…

Next up:
-Fix some leaky brake-lines (several of the fittings are old/rusted and will occasionally weep brake fluid. Under hard braking I’d imagine they’ll become a problem.
-Install oil temp sensor. The SPA oil temp sensor must have gotten lost at some point as it’s missing now, but a quick oil change and sensor install will fix that.
-Plug the remaining holes in the floor and truck area from the old fuel system
-Finish mounting the passenger harnesses
-Head to Laguna Seca for some shake down laps and discover a new set of items to address… Not bad considering how little time/work has been put into this car since 2002. IPG did a good job at getting the motor replaced, however, aside from the engine, practically everything else is original from 1999-2002. As you can imagine lots of little issues will continue to surface during the resurrection process. The good news, I’m ready for it! Bring it on.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s