AiM Display Setup & Trans Rebuild

AiM MXL2 display
To keep the appearance respectful of the original 24hr Spa design, I created a new carbon back panel for the AiM cluster bezel. Also, I’m still cleaning up the wiring, but all the sensors are connected and functioning. Here’s a break down on the entire AiM system:
AiM MXL2 display
AiM 22pin auxiliary harness that’s connected to the Hondata S300 V4 via Rs232 wire
AiM 4-port CAN data expansion hub
AiM PT100 temp sensor (3 – engine coolant, engine oil and transmission oil)
AiM PRS pressure sensor (2 – fuel and engine oil)
AiM EGT thermocouple
AiM Brake Pressure sensor (2 – front & rear w/bias math channel)
AiM LCU-One wideband Lambda Controller w/ CAN & Analog output
AiM SmartyCam HD v2.0 (w/integrated CAN connection & external mic)

Before:

After:

I’m still working on the alert configurations, software settings and data analytics, but so far everything seems to be functioning ok. Given the MXL2 and RaceStudio3 are pretty new, I’ve discovered A LOT of bugs in the software. Specially, the CAN connection on the LCU wideband can’t be initialized in the RaceStudio3 software (only RaceStudio2), but the MXL2 requires RaceStudio3. Also the WiFi communication in the MXL2 is not working yet. Same with the track map display on the MXL2.
Transmission rebuild Thanks Chase for the Honda parts!
As mentioned in a previous posting, during the first outing at Laguna Seca, I discovered the 4th gear synchro was gone and the 3rd gear was starting to go. After pulling the transmission and inspecting everything, I discovered a few surprises. First off, the differential bolts appear to have contacted the case at some point. Based on the pictures from when IPG has the transmission opened it seems like this happened awhile back but seems to have clearanced itself and it no longer an issue.

The reverse idle gear was toast. I have no idea how it got this bad but it needed to be replaced.

The syncro hubs were not Honda pieces. Based on the part number they’re actually from the same manufacture as the 5.54 final drive (Hewland – UK). While the metal is probably stronger than OE, the tooth profile isn’t that great and is causing a decent amount of play/shifter slope when changing gears. I’ll be switching the hubs to new Honda pieces. Also the sliders were in pretty rough shape and will be swapped as well for new pieces.

Initially, the brass synchros seemed to be in pretty good shape however upon further inspection they showed signs of excessive heat and were developing burrs on the inside cones. While the teeth were pretty sharp, I opted to swap them out for a set of carbon lined pieces.

Lastly I installed a new 4th gear. It turns out the 4th and 5th gears are a not US ITR spec but rather are a US GSR/JDM ITR/UKDM ITR ratio. For those that don’t know, the JDM/UKDM ITR’s used a longer 4th and 5th gear due to the OE 4.7 final drive. The UKDM has the shortest gearing since the car also used 15″ wheels whereas the JDM cars had 16″ wheels. Given that most of the parts are from Europe, I’m pretty sure this transmission was built or sourced from the UK. With the 5.54 FD, 15″ wheels, 200whp, 2200lbs, this car will move pretty good. Finally, the reassembly process and sonic batch to clean the reused parts…


Carbon Brake ducts
Over the past few months I’ve been in communication with the company in Europe that originally made the carbon airbox, bumper brake ducts and a few other miscellaneous parts. While many of the molds were destroyed, they’re still able to make the airbox and bumper brake ducts. Since my bumper ducts are in pretty rough shape I’ve asked them to create a three sets of ducts. Assuming everything fits in good order and assuming enough people are interested, I can have some more sets made. Same with the airbox, however getting it in carbon is extremely expensive.



New 15” wheels/tires
When the car was built and raced at the 24hrs of Spa, it used 15×7 SSR wheels. The 17×7 were only used for the Speedvision WC due to (I believe) tire/manufacture requirements. While the 17” wheels are classic, they don’t provide optimal performance. In speaking with Hein, we both agreed that the car should be returned to 15’s in order to maximize the performance of the rear suspension, minimize ride height and maximize the gearing performance. The white TE37’s are 15×7.5 and have 1yr/old 225 NT01’s (much better than the 4yr old unshaved RA1’s). I previously used the TE’s on my other car and they’ll be a great interim solution while I get everything dialed in. Also the 15” white wheels (in addition to the orange blinkers) return the car back to the original 24hr Spa look (it’s not perfect but it’s getting pretty close).


24hrs of Spa in 2000
Lastly, to correct the record books and clarify a lot of the inaccurate information I’ve found on the web (primarily due to it changing hands so much), I’ll be posting a historical summary next month of the cars racing history. This information came directly from Mark Hein as I’ve been fortunate enough to speak with him directly while I resurrect the car. Here’s some teasers that Mark provided from when the car raced at Spa in 2000 and won the prestigious Coupe du Roi or King’s Cup trophy. It’s one of the oldest awards in racing and is awarded to the most consistent marque, regardless of team affiliation.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s